MEM23101 - Court Farm, Parracombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Parracombe Tithe Map shows the farmstead in the form of two linear buildings running parallel to each other in a northeast to southwest orientation. The building on the eastern side has a further small building abutting its southwestern corner, running away from it to the southwest.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was drawn, the eastern building had been extended to the southwest. The small abutting building had been demolished and a new one built to its south, again abutting the eastern building's southwestern corner but in a differing orientation. A further two structures had been built fronting the road, to the eastern building's east. This arrangement is repeated on the 2nd Edition map, with a further building shown at c. SS 6456 4687. [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition map was published, the buildings have been the subject of small additions. In particular, the two buildings fronting the road have either been merged, or partially demolished and rebuilt at a larger scale.  The farmstead was visited in December 1996. The house was described as 'ancient' but much altered in the 20th Century; it was thought possible the interior may survive. 
- <1> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 58.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6456 4686 (49m by 54m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 58
Record last edited
Nov 11 2019 4:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.