MEM23098 - Higher Bumsley, Parracombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site is shown as an open field on the Parracombe Tithe Map.  The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps show the farmstead labelled Bumsley Farm. The farmhouse is sited at SS 6548 4588 and there is an associated building constructed in an L shape at SS 6550 4590. There is also a small outbuilding shown at SS 6549 4588. [2,3] The modern MasterMap data shows the farmhouse is still apparently extant in its earlier form, with the L shaped building to the northeast extended southwards. The little outhouse has been demolished. The farmstead is now labelled Higher Bumsley.  The site was visited in December 1996. The house has a datestone on its gable, inscribed '1840' but the remaining structures are described as tin sheds. It is not clear, therefore, in what form the building at SS 6550 4590 now exists.  The Youth Hostel Association has published research recording a Youth Hostel as below: SS 656 458. Bumsley Mill Farm, Parracombe, Barnstaple, Devon. Opened 1 January 1947. The wardens were Mr and Mrs Hutchins. The property was damaged in the Exmoor Floods 15 and 16 August 1952. Volunteer work parties did good work after the flood and bednights continued; the hostel was not yet closed. Closed March or (improbably) April 1953. A postcard comment stated that the hostel was an ex farmhouse, with the men's quarters in a barn and washing conditions being "rather primitive". It seems from the grid reference provided that the YHA believe MDE21144 to be the property concerned, although the name "Bumsley Mill Farm" could imply that the hostel was at Higher Bumsley, previously known as Bumsley Farm (MEM23098). Bumsley Mill certainly appears to be in a more vulnerable position by the river and is possibly more likely to have suffered flood damage. [6,7]
- <1> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 55.
- <6> SEM8572 Unpublished document: Martin, J.. 2018. Youth Hostels Association (England and Wales): Historical listing of all youth hostels and other YHA accommodation. 358.
- <7> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 1 August 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6549 4589 (98m by 56m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 55
Record last edited
Sep 30 2020 3:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.