MEM23097 - Voley Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Parracombe Tithe Map shows the farmstead as three long buildings framing the northeast (bank barn), southwest and southeast (farmhouse) corners of a farmyard. The settlement is labelled Voley. A small outbuilding is situated to the east of the farmhouse at c. SS 6421 4592.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed, the farm building to the southwest of the yard had been reduced in size (losing its southeastern end) or demolished and rebuilt at a smaller scale, and various small structures had been inserted into the boundary of the yard. A round structure, possibly a horse engine house, is depicted abutting the northeastern face of the bank barn, at c. SS 6418 4594 and the barn itself had been extended to the northwest. A pump is also noted to be present in the farmyard.  The 2nd Edition map shows that some of the small structures depicted previously have been removed and the building to the southwest of the group has a small extension on its northeastern elevation at the northwestern end. This extension fills most of the northwestern end of the yard's boundary. There was also an extension range created running in parallel with the building on its rear (southwestern) side. The possible horse engine house is still depicted, with some small structures attached to it and the barn together.  Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the possible horse engine house has been demolished, although the small structures that were attached to it and the barnk barn still appear to be extant. The southwestern building's extension on its rear side has also been demolished.  The farmstead was visited in December 1996. The house was thought to be 17th Century or earlier in date and was noted to be rendered and painted pink. The internal layout was thought to be two room and cross passage in plan, with more at the low end. The yard was described as cobbled with a delightful and complete range of 19th Century farm buildings, built of rubble with brick arches and slate roofs. They were noted to have all been converted. The farmstead was said to be down a long descending lane, on the side of a combe with a pattern of ancient fields and trees. 
- <1> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 54.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6417 4591 (151m by 71m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (1): 54
Record last edited
Feb 3 2020 3:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.