MEM23096 - West Hill Farm, Parracombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Parracombe Tithe Map shows a group of farm buildings here labelled West Hill. At least three of the buildings (the farmhouse to the south of the site and the two other main buildings in the central area) still appear to be extant, although they had been altered by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed. However, some smaller outbuildings shown on the Tithe Map (at c. SS 6580 4500, SS 6579 4497 and SS 6576 4501) had been demolished and are not shown on the 1st Edition map. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in December 1996. The site was noted to have a nice old field pattern around it, with low key farming taking place. 
- <1> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 53.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6577 4500 (60m by 84m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 53
Record last edited
Sep 30 2020 3:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.