MEM23094 - Lower Cowley Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on historic mapping. The Kentisbury Tithe Map depicts the farm building as a linear structure with a division towards its northern end, with a single associated building situated to its east. By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey was surveyed, the farmhouse and building to its front had been altered and extended and numerous small outbuildings had been constructed on the site. Three of the enclosures around the farm are also shown as orchard on this map and on the following 2nd Edition map, which is similar in layout to the previous edition. Since this latter map was drawn, most of the additional structures have been demolished and the associated building to the front of the farmhouse has been reduced in size. A further extension has been constructed to the rear of the farmhouse. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in December 1996. The house was noted to be of interest but with 20th Century alterations. Associated buildings were noted to include a single storey tiny two bay linhay with a central cylindrical rubble pier and another 19th Century building. 
- <1> SEM7937 Map: 1840. Kentisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 51.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6396 4575 (110m by 124m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 51
Record last edited
Nov 17 2014 4:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.