MEM23079 - Girt Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Combe Martin. The original farmhouse was sited by SS 5966 4743, orientated northwest to southeast, and had a small outbuilding to its rear (at SS 5967 4743). There was a range of associated outbuildings at SS 5965 4745, on a similar orientation to the house, and to the southeast of the farmhouse as two small square enclosures.  By the time of the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, a new farmhouse had been built at SS 5969 4740, in the northern of the two square enclosures that has been reduced in size to suit. The original house appears to have been demolished and partially replaced by (or reduced in size to form) a small building at SS 5966 4742, with the small outbuilding to its rear apparently still extant. The range of outbuildings to the north of the farmhouse has been altered and extended to the southeast in a series of staggered ranges. This arrangement is similarly echoed on the 2nd Edition map. [2,3] The modern map appears to show that all but the newer farmhouse has been demolished. All that remain are two small outbuildings, situated at SS 5968 4742 and SS 5969 4741, which are shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition maps. A couple of new outbuildings have been erected to the farmhouse's north. [2-4] The site was surveyed from a distance in December 1996. The house was described as 19th Century with a central gable to its front. The farm buildings were noted to be very small and 20th Century in date. 
- <1> SDE65638 Map: 1843. Combe Martin Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 38.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5966 4741 (101m by 159m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 38
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.