MEM23078 - North Challacombe Farm, Combe Martin (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The farmstead is shown on the Combe Martin Tithe Map. It depicts the farmhouse (still extant) and a building to its north at c. SS 5891 4773, which is presumably a barn. The buildings are within a small enclosure.  The farm is similarly depicted on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map, although the 'barn' had been extended slightly to the west by the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed. [2,3] The modern mapping shows that the 'barn' has since been demolished and parts of the enclosure boundaries removed. The farm has been extended to the northeast and the farmhouse also appears to have had small extensions built onto it.  The farmstead was surveyed from a distance in December 1996. The farm was noted to have been altered in the 20th Century. 
- <1> SDE65638 Map: 1843. Combe Martin Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5890 4771 (62m by 69m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 37
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.