MEM23075 - High Bullen (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The house is shown on the Lynton and Lynmouth Tithe Map apparently in a similar form to the modern building, within a large plot of land. No other buildings are shown in this area.  The house is also shown as isolated on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. The house is labelled High Bullen. [2,3] The RAF aerial photographs taken in 1946-8 show no farm buildings but the house at c. SS 7098 4663 now appears.  The house now forms the centre of a farmstead, with the associated farm buildings arrnaged to its west and southwest.  The farm was visited in December 1996. The house was thought to date from the 1920s . This may suggest the house was renovated at this date. 
- <1> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park.
- <7> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 28 October 2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7095 4667 (16m by 22m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 34
Record last edited
Oct 28 2014 3:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.