MEM23074 - East Ilkerton Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Lynton and Lynmouth Tithe Map. The current farmhouse and long stone outbuilding range to its rear are depicted, apparently much in their current form.  The late 19th Century 1st Edition map shows a new building situated at c. SS 7112 4706. By the 2nd Edition map, this structure was extended to the west to form a long L shaped building, situated within a small enclosure. [2,3] The modern Ordnance Survey map shows that the Late 19th / early 20th Century buildings mentioned above have since been demolished and a series of large modern agricultural buildings have been constructed to the west and northwest of the farmstead.  The site was visited in December 1996. The farmhouse and outbuilding to its rear were thought to be 19th Century (or possibly 18th Century) in date and were noted to be constructed of stone rubble with slate roofs. The farmhouse has a 20th Century extension across its front. 
- <1> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 33.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7113 4705 (55m by 74m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 33
Record last edited
Jun 25 2018 11:40AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.