MEM23067 - Barton Town Cottages (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The georectified tithe map is not clear enough to show whether the cottages were extant at this point in time.  The cottages and their outbuilding are shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps in their present plan form. [2-4] The cottages were visited in 1996. They were described as a house with 19th Century mullioned windows, plain and long. It was suggested the building may have an earlier core. 
- <1> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 16.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6793 4059 (30m by 12m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 16
Record last edited
Oct 23 2014 2:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.