MEM23065 - North Barton Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site is shown as open fields on the Challacombe Tithe Map.  The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey both show the farmstead in the form of two buildings at the northern end (presumably the farmhouse and barn) and a pond next to a spring to the south. Both buildings are still extant and only a few additional structures have been added. [2-4] The site was visited in December 1996. The house is descibed as much altered and rendered (it was mentioned that it may be ancient underneath but the above mapping evidence disproves this). The barn is described as 19th Century and rubble built, separated from the house by a lane. The other buildings are mostly ad hoc tin. The surrounding enclosures were said to be late. 
- <1> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 14.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6812 4128 (70m by 101m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 14
Record last edited
Mar 27 2018 3:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.