MEM23059 - Winstitchen Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead, including buildings and associated enclosure boundaries, seems little altered from its depiction on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [1-3] The site was visited in December 1996. It was thought that the house dated to the 19th Century but had been much altered and is rendered. A long, low outbuilding was also believed to be of 19th Century date.  This farmstead was presumably built for the Knight family. It is possible that much of the original fabric of the buildings survives. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 5.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 22 October 2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7854 3889 (304m by 123m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 5
Record last edited
Jul 11 2018 2:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.