MEM23052 - Simonsbath Barton Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps in much the same form. The farmhouse is situated to the west at SS 7688 3941, with long ranges of farmbuildings arranged in a T shape and two further outbuildings to the far east of the site. [1,2] The modern MasterMap data and aerial photographs show the farmstead has been much extended to the north, where a range of large modern agricultural buildings are now situated. The historic farm buildings are, however, in much the same arrangement as on the historic mapping, although the two outbuildings have been extended and / or demolished. [3,4] The site was visited in December 1996. The house was described as a filled in 'U' plan and of an unknown date, though possibly thought to be of 17th or 16th Century origins.  The farmstead was built for the Knight family in the 19th Century.  Simonsbath House and Farm, with c.560 acres was leased to Charles Le Blanc by Frederic Knight from two months after Lady Day 1851 for a period of seven years. The lease was managed by Robert Smith. The house, buildings and front paddock were to be given up at any time if 12 months notice was given and if a new house and buildings were erected on the fearm to receive him. Roads, fences and buildings were to be kept in repair by the tenant (the latter two reimbursed by Knight). The cart building was required to be roofed and general buildings "adjusted for the uses of the farm"; the mill house was to be "enlarged for a Barn". 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 3.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 20 October 2014.
- <7> SEM8631 Archive: Various. 1815-1999. Knight Archive. KN.CORR.012_1851.05.20.pdf.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7690 3943 (110m by 81m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 3
Record last edited
Mar 10 2021 2:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.