MEM23049 - Higher Bodley farmstead, Parracombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site of the farmstead is shown as a blank field on the Parracombe Tithe Map.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the farmstead arranged in a C shape, with the open end to the northeast. The farmbuilding apparently occupies the northwestern range. A further outbuilding is to the rear of what appears to be a long barn on the southwestern side of the buildings.  The 2nd Edition map shows a very similar arrangement to that shown on the 1st Edition, as does the 1946-8 RAF aerial photographs of the site. [3,4] The site was surveyed from a distance in December 1996. The house was noted to have been subject to recent alteration but it was commented that older work within the property may have been concealed. The farm buildings were all thought to date to the late 20th Century.  Modern MasterMap data appears to show the site has been subject to much alteration, with new larger agricultural buildings arranged to the west of the central farmstead. The 2013 aerial photographs also suggest the barn may have been converted to accommodation, or rebuilt. [6,7]
- <1> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 1.
- <6> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <7> SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6689 4562 (42m by 40m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 1
Record last edited
Sep 30 2020 3:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.