MEM23047 - Undated stone in Wester Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A "stone" was recorded on the 1840 Lynton Tithe map at c. SS 73985 48906, drawn as a triangle and labelled appropriately. It may have featured a triangulation point and seems to be used to aid the surveyor of the Tithe Map in his cartography.  This was no longer recorded on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map or later maps, although it may still be extant. [2-4] The information in  could not be verified. 
- <1> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 21 July 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7398 4890 (point) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 21 2021 4:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.