MEM22907 - 20th Century quarry in Porlock (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A 20th Century former quarry was visible on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map, annotated as 'old quarry'. This was not seen on the earlier 1st Edition map, indicating that the feature was opened, exploited and closed between surveys for the two map editions. The earthworks were visible on the 3rd Edition map, but not annotated. On the 2014 MasterMap the site is seen to have been developed, with a structure present named 'Quarry Mill'. [1-4]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8093 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1933-1938. County Series, Third Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8883 4662 (36m by 27m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
Record last edited
Jul 11 2016 1:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.