MEM22895 - Post-medieval groynes and sluice on Porlock Beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Post-medieval groynes and a sluice were visible on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. This area of hard defences is still noted on the 2014 MasterMap, though the sluice is no longer present. The configuartion of the groynes varies between each mapping Edition. The defences are annotated on all maps as 'New Works', which appears to encompass the whole site. A possible platform is visible on the 1st to 3rd Edition maps, and is not seen on the 2014 MasterMap - from the mapping it is not possible to tell what the feature is. [1-4]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8093 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1933-1938. County Series, Third Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8768 4798 (47m by 114m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.