MEM22851 - Possible rectilinear enclosure of medieval field system southwest of Ley Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Low earth banks forming a field system on the southwest side of Ley Hill.  Earthwork banks centred on circa SS 8828 4460 define a rectilinear enclosure or field system of probable medieval date, on the southwest side of Ley Hill, Luccombe parish. The earthworks are visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards. The field system is rectilinear in form, the visible earthworks defining an enclosure measuring approximately 180 metres west to east and 125 metres north to south. Internal subdivisions may be visible within this enclosure, including a possible structure at circa SS 8831 4460. The field boundaries may continue to the south, one possible bank possibly extending towards Horner Water for 120 metres from the enclosures southeastern corner at SS 8831 4453. It seems probable that these earthworks are associated with or an extension of, the more extensive field system circa 500 metres to the east, and by extension, the deserted medieval settlement in Horner Wood. It is also likely that the dense vegetation in this area conceals further boundaries which remain to be discovered. [2-5]
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. AP Preece, 1 January 1992.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 4090-1 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 254-5 (16 August 1972).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA MAL IR 77013 088-089 (20 May 1977).
- <5> SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8828 4454 (293m by 299m)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1473575 (Original Monarch entry: 1473575)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO2298
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE176
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1473575
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35263
Record last edited
Sep 4 2014 12:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.