MEM22835 - Five Acre Linhay, Oare (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Five Acre Linhay is visible on the 1842 Oare Tithe map and the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. This is not visible on the later 2nd Edition map, or the 2014 MasterMap. [1-4] Five named linhays were probably part of the Glenthorne designed landscape (MEM24547) and formed focal points on walks or drives around it. 
- <1> SSO346 Map: 1842. Oare Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM340850 Report: Riley, H.. 2021. Archaeological survey at Glenthorne, Countisbury, Devon and Oare, Somerset, Exmoor National Park: The Combe SS 79947 49497 - The Towers SS 79425 49776. Hazel Riley. p6.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7982 4912 (12m by 11m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 11 2021 9:52AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.