MEM22786 - Post-medieval post office at Lynmouth (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A post-medieval post office was visible on the Ordnance Survey 1st and 2nd Edition maps. [1,2] The site of the post office is now within the East Lyn River. This suggests that the building was lost as part of the 1952 floods. [3,4]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 11 April 2016.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7231 4951 (20m by 23m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.