MEM22740 - Demolished building at Hillstart, Porlock (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps show a building in this location. [1,2] The building still appears to be extant on the 1946-8 RAF photographs for Porlock.  Modern mapping shows most of the building appears to have been demolished, although part of it may have been retained to form a shed.  The southeast elevation, including a doorway and window, appears to have been retained in a boundary wall.  The building was photographed in c.1900, although the gable facing the road is partially obscured in the image. It had a thatched roof. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. C Dove, site visit, 28 June 2014.
- <6> SEM8462 Monograph: Binding, H., Pearce, B. and Pugsley, S.. 2001. Exmoor Century: A century of change through fascinating historic and contemporary photographs of Exmoor. Exmoor Books. 120.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8842 4676 (11m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.