MEM22694 - Quarryhead, Withypool (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Withypool Tithe Map shows two buildings arranged in a small yard. The larger is orientated east-west and situated on the north side at c. SS 8519 3563; a smaller building is arranged north-south and is placed at c. S S8519 3562.  The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps name these buildings 'Quarryhead'. The northern building has been extended east to reach the yard wall and appears to have been partially marked with an open south side; the southwest building appears to have been extended northwards and may or may not join the northern one. A semicircular addition abuts the two at c. SS 8518 3563; it is possible this was a horse engine house. An enclosed area is also shown at c. SS 8521 3562. [2,3] The RAF photographs from 1946-8 for this site show the buildings but they appear to be ruinous.  Modern Ordnance Survey mapping shows only a few fragments of walling remaining at the site, mainly surviving as they were preserved in field boundaries. 
- <1> SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8520 3562 (40m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Apr 1 2014 1:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.