MEM22592 - Mound of unknown date on The Chains (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small mutilated mound was noted during a non-intrustive walkover survey of the proposed mire restoration area on The Chains, undertaken by South West Archaeology as part of the Exmoor Mires Project. This was thought to be a possible burial mound of prehistoric date. The centre of the feature has been dug out.  The Historic Environment Officer for the Exmoor Mires Project undertook a non-intrustive walkover survey of the proposed mire restoration area on The Chains, which included this site. Noted was a small mound measuring 4 metres by 3 metres, with a height of 0.5 metres and a dug out centre. This may be associated with peat cutting activity to the northwest, perhaps a feature derived from stacking and storage.  A large scale metric survey of the Pinkworthy (or Pinkery) Pond environs was undertaken by Hazel Riley in 2012 as part of the Exmoor Mires Project. A subcircular peaty mound 3.5 metres north-south, 4 metres east-west and 0.6 metres high lies to the northwest of Pinkworthy (or Pinkery) Pond. A square slot has been dug into the top. An area of peat cutting lies to the northwest and this mound may be associated with stacking or storing the peat before it was transported off the moor; it probably dates from the post-medieval period. [3, 4]
- <1> SEM8054 Report: Walls, S. and Morris, B.. 2012. The Chains, Exmoor: Results of a walkover survey. 14, 23.
- <2> SEM8055 Report: Bray, L.. The Chains walkover survey.
- <3> SEM8056 Report: Riley, H.. 2012. Metric survey of Pinkery pond and its environs. 20.
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report. 39.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7229 4237 (3m by 3m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (0)
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument) (The Chains): ECH12(114)
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument) (The Chains): ECH12(6)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2015 3:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.