MEM22423 - Possible stone quarrying north of Blue Gate Iron Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
The discovery of a cist was reported by Hazel Eardley-Wilmot (pers comm). This feature was located only a few metres to the east of a cairn. However, it is not a cist but a ragged, oval pit and probably the product of stone cutting and removal. A few large stones around the edge of the pit present the illusion of a revetment as lining but in reality they are not deliberately placed for that function.  The alleged cist is probably associated with mineral prospecting or for the quarry stone used in the construction of the field bank to the north.  Mapping estimated on description above and aerial photographs taken in 2013. Validation required.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 January 1990.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 October 1994.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 10 September 2013.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 870253, Extant 17 November 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7651 3828 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=870253 (Original Monarch entry: 870253)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MMO285
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10925
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6959
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE13
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 870253
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33064
Record last edited
Nov 17 2021 1:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.