MEM22415 - Leys Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A farmstead appears here on the Withypool Tithe Map. The buildings appear little altered from their current arrangement.  The farmstead is labelled Foxtwitchen on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The farm was not visited during the 1997 Exmoor Farmstead survey as the surveyor was erroneously informed that it was no longer a farm. This may have been because the farmstead is now known as Leys Farm, with Foxtwitchen House (MEM23268) having been constructed northeast to the farm. [3,4]
- <1> SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 207.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. C Dove, 29 August 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8465 3605 (96m by 54m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (Unknown): 207
Record last edited
Apr 18 2018 10:31AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.