MEM22382 - The New Lyndale Hotel, Lynmouth (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The Lyndale Hotel was one of the first to be established in Lynmouth. It was damaged beyond repair in the 1952 flooding.  The Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth depicts a large rectangular building at SS 7241 4943, with some small extensions. It is labelled 1378, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as "New Inn and Garden", owned by the Reverend Thomas Roe and leased and occupied by Thomas Bevans Junior.  A larger hotel is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. It is labelled the "Lyndale Hotel" and appears to have replaced the image shown on the Tithe Map. [3,4] The Lyndale Hotel was photographed in the mid 1870s and 1906. A news item in the Exeter Flying Post in June 1854 announced the opening of the New Lyndale Hotel, built on the site of the New Inn. It was erected and run by Mrs Jones, the proprieter of the Valley of Rocks Hotel. 
- <1> SEM6954 Report: Fisher, J.. 2003. Lynmouth: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 5.
- <2> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8617 Monograph: Travis, J.. 1995. An illustrated history of Lynton and Lynmouth 1770-1914. Breedon Books. 1st E Edition. 21, 22, 30.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7242 4943 (54m by 37m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial & tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial and tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial and tidal
Record last edited
Nov 20 2018 4:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.