MEM22214 - James Huish & Sons, Parson's Street, Porlock (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Between is the James Huish & Sons, former builder’s yard, an exceptional survival of a late 19th Century commercial group with original timber and glazing detail.  The building incorporates windows reclaimed from Ashley Combe House.  The clock tower for Ashley Combe Lodge (MSO7970) was constructed in 1840. The windows are now visible in a builders workshop in Porlock. 
- <1> SEM6959 Report: Fisher, J.. 2002. Porlock: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p21.
- <2> SEM8052 Report: Pratt, N.. 2013. Porlock Conservation Area: Appraisal Document. 48, 78.
- <3> SEM7985 Serial: Exmoor Society. 1959-present. Exmoor Review. Volume 30 (1989), "The rise and fall of Ashley Combe Lodge near Porlock Weir", p50-53 (B Milne).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8858 4651 (14m by 20m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
Record last edited
Jun 28 2021 9:51AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.