MEM22184 - Garden wall at Porlock Rectory, Parson Street, Porlock (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Rectory and walled garden. C16, enlarged and remodelled early C18, extended mid C19. Red sandstone random rubble at one time rendered, quoins, steeply pitched hipped slate roof, moulded cornice, external stone stack right gable end, tall brick stacks rising from eaves left. Plan: original plan not clear, 3 cell with 2 cell addition. Two storeys with attic, 1:7 bays, left segmental headed tripartite sash windows in projecting C19 addition; main block, 3 dormers, 12-pane sash widnows in moulded surrounds with lintels central flat roofed porch with two 12-pane windows, half glazed doors. Interior: entered into original hall with 9-panel compartment ceiling cut by insertion of early C18 dog leg stairs rising beside wall, turned balusters, cut string, panelled dado, rooms beyond left featureless, early-mid C18 panelling in room to right. Wall adjoining to west enclosing garden, red sandstone random rubble slate coping about 2 m high, arched doorway with rubble voussoirs.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265472. First Listed on 07/10/1981.  South of the Parish Church is the former Rectory built of local red sandstone with steeply pitched slate roofs. The original plan dates from the 16th century and appears to be three-cell with a two-cell addition. It was considerably extended in the early 18th century and again in the mid 19th century. There are good interior features, and the listing also includes the wall enclosing the garden to the north. The segmental arched and tri-partite sash windows with narrow glazing bars, are mainly 19th century.  The wall was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM6959 Report: Fisher, J.. 2002. Porlock: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p18.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8863 4660 (18m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1076/24/58/2
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31185
Record last edited
Jan 8 2021 2:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.