MEM22129 - Allerford Museum (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Allerford's former village school retains an extensive thatched roof and mainly dates from the early 19th Century. An attached schoolhouse, rendered with a slate roof, dates to c.1880. Both now form the West Somerset Rural Life Museum.  The school was established in 1861. It was established by the Aclands.  The school is depicted and labelled on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps in a similar layout to modern MasterMap data. [3,4] Allerford School was built in 1821 by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, the 10th Baronet, opening on 9th July 1821 with about 36 pupils. It originally consisted of a thatched L shaped building with a large, high Schoolroom and an attached two storey house for the head teacher and family. By the end of the 1870s there were too many children for the Schoolroom and so a barn beside the road was demolished and, in 1882, replaced by a new school house for the head teacher. The original school house was then adapted as an infants' room and kitchen. The gravelled boys playground was to the front, with the earth closet toilet block to the right and the girls' areas behind the Infants' Room and the Schoolroom. The walls are of cob on a stone plinth foundation, rendered and limewashed. When the school opened, the children were taught on the lines laid down by the National Society for Education. Truancy was a problem, with children going to follow the stag hunts or being required to help at home. In 1892 the school's headteacher was Mr George Dewey, followed by William Labrun in 1893. By 1897 the school had about 112 pupils. With the managerial changes resulting from the 1902 Education Act, Sir CTD Acland made the school and school house available to the new managers on favourable terms. In 1944, the school was host to the transferring of the Holnicote Estate from the 15th Baronet, Sir Richard Acland, to the National Trust, who then became owners of the school. It became "Voluntary Aided" in 1951. It finally closed in 1981, when it had just 12 pupils. 
- <1> SEM7907 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2004. Allerford Conservation Area Character Appraisal.
- <2> SEM8516 Monograph: Villiers, S.. 2012. Village schooling in Somerset: Learn 'em hard. Ryelands.. 1st Edition. 214.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8530 Monograph: Haw, G.. 2001. The book of Luccombe & Selworthy: A pictorial history of the parishes. Horner Mill Services. 1st Edition. 25-35.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 904 469 (34m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (3)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA136629 (National Trust HER entry: MNA136629)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA137184 (National Trust HER entry: MNA137184)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA138268 (National Trust HER entry: MNA138268)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Trust HER Record: MNA136629
- National Trust HER Record: MNA137184
- National Trust HER Record: MNA138268
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.