MEM22094 - The Valiant Soldier Inn (Building)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Inn's sign was created by Rachel Reckitt in 1937. The sign depicted a solider created from carved wood and tin. This was the first of at least five inn signs created by Reckitt in the next two years.  The property is shown on the Tithe Map for Old Cleeve with a small extension on the eastern end of the southeastern (front) elevation, abutting the roadside. There was also a further linear extension to the rear, at the southwestern end. The property is labelled 1007, which is described on the accompanying Apportionment as "Soldier Inn and Outhouse", owned and occupied by John Langdon.  The public house is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map bearing the same name. [3,4] The Valiant Soldier has a cheerful metal inn sign of the 1950s by Rachel Reckitt.  Rachel Reckitt noted that the pub in Roadwater had no sign but had "a highly evocative name". It was an Arnold and Hancock house and she asked Mr Wukkoughby Hancock of Wiveliscombe (the managing director) if he would like to commission her to do one. He paid £60 for the sign. It was built up in relief using sheet metal, wire or lead piping on a wooden core. 
- <1> SEM7478 Monograph: Bishop, H.. 2001. Rachel Reckitt: Where Everything That Meets the Eye…. Somerset County Museums service and the Golsoncott Foundation. P. 20, P. 95 fig. 145.
- <2> SEM7922 Map: Ham, R.. 1839. Old Cleeve Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 1007.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8113 Monograph: Orbach, J. and Pevsner, N.. 2014. The Buildings of England: Somerset - South and West. Yale University Press. 542.
- <6> SEM7985 Serial: Exmoor Society. 1959-present. Exmoor Review. Volume 35 (1994), "Thirst before Righteousness", p30-32 (H Binding and R Reckitt).
External Links (0)
- Local List Status (Candidate)
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0300 3815 (50m by 36m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (2)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2019 2:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.