MEM21939 - Pound on Pound Walk, Dulverton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A 'Pound' is marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, and a building is still marked at this location on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map. [1-2] The path running along the River Barle at this location is called 'Pound Walk'.  The shelter at the Recreation Ground was once the cattle pound for stray animals.  The pound was previously on the east side of the river. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7580 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM7521 Monograph: Binding, H. + Bonham-Carter, V.. 1986. Old Dulverton and Around: Dulverton - Bury - Brushford - Exebridge. The Exmoor Press. P.32.
- <5> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. P.9, 15.
- <6> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.12, 19.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9122 2770 (7m by 14m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Oct 31 2012 9:14AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.