MEM21913 - Allotments, North of Dulverton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
'Allotment Gardens' are marked on the Second Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 9126928105.  The allotments cover a much wider area on the 1940s Royal Air Force photography.  The new buildings associated with the police and fire service stand on the site of the allotments of the former Dulverton Friendly Society.  Much of the area once taken by allotments is now used as a caravan park.  In 1856, the Dulverton Friendly Society acquired the land behind the Bridge Inn (now occupied by the Police Station, Fire Station, car park, Caravan Club and Hanover Court). Members of the club could rent gardens and allotments.  Part of this area appears to show as strip fields on the Dulverton tithe map. 
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <3> SEM7521 Monograph: Binding, H. + Bonham-Carter, V.. 1986. Old Dulverton and Around: Dulverton - Bury - Brushford - Exebridge. The Exmoor Press. P.32.
- <4> SEM7580 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. P.16.
- <6> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.69, 101.
- <7> SSO187 Map: 1838. Dulverton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9126 2802 (152m by 321m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 8 2021 2:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.