MEM15647 - Lyddicombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Lyddicombe is shown on the North Molton Tithe Map. The Apportionment document lists the property as belonging to Lord Poltimore and occupied by William Shapland. At this time, the buildings are shown arranged around a yard, with an L shaped building occupying the north and eastern sides and a smaller outbuilding in the southwestern corner, orientated east to west. The Apportionment records this plot as "House Barton etc".  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed , only the northern part of the L shaped range was still extant. However, an outbuilding had been added to the north of the remaining building, at SS 7351 3440. This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. [3,4] The buildings were still extant and roofed when aerial photographs of the site were taken by the Royal Air Force in 1946-8.  A letter relating to a planning application made in 1989 describes the larger surviving structure as a combination barn with the lower section acting originally as a lofted cow house, the central section as a corn barn and the upper part probably another animal house. The building dates to various periods, with the lower section possibly being the earliest phase, followed by the barn and then the upper part. It had recently been reroofed, as had the open fronted shed behind. The barn's character, with a small winnowing door suggested a 19th Century date. The accompanying drawings show the smaller, northern barn as an open fronted shed. The original farmhouse was thought by the applicant to occupy the site immediately to the north of the remaining buildings.  The site was seen from a distance in January 1997. It was described as a group of ruinous buildings, with some remains of tin roofs. The buildings were constructed from rubble and cob. Some of the buildings were thought to be partially in use as stock shelter.  Modern Ordnance Survey data and aerial photographs taken in 2013 show the remaining original northern range as a ruinous three celled structure. The newer building to its north appears to still be extant, with a corrugated roof. [8,9]
- <1> SEM7404 Unpublished document: Webber, P. + Tapper, H.. 2010. Desertions in North Molton Parish.
- <2> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <6> SEM8165 Unpublished document: Child, P.. 1989. Letter regarding planning application relating to barn conversion at Lyddicombe.
- <7> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 171.
- <8> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <9> SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7352 3438 (36m by 48m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 37621
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/37/1
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (Unknown): 171
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21279
Record last edited
May 23 2018 11:48AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.