MEM15414 - Possible undated slag heap in Draydon Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small heap of smelting slag is reported in Draydon Wood. The mound is recorded as being up to 3 metres in diameter and less than 1 metre in height.  This site may be technologically similar to smelting sites recorded at Shircombe Slade (West and East), but it is described as being disturbed and obscured by dense vegetation and no firm conclusions can be made.  The area has been surveyed but the reported feature could not be identified on the ground. 
- <1> SEM6912 Report: Juleff, G.. 1997. Earlier Iron-Working on Exmoor: Preliminary Survey. P.17, 18, 30, Table 1..
- <2> SEM7239 Report: Juleff, G.. 1999. Greater Exmoor Early Iron-Working Project: Summary of Activities 1997/98 and 1998/99. P.1-2.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. L Bray, 14 October 2009.
|Grid reference||SS 8940 2922 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35572
Record last edited
Mar 26 2019 3:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.