MEM15410 - 19th Century mine shaft at Blacklands Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A shaft of Blacklands Mine, apparently filled, is centred on circa SS 8400 3694.  The shaft is depicted and annotated as ‘Old Shaft’ on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition County Series 1:2500 map.  The shaft is depicted but not labelled on the 2nd Edition map.  The feature is not shown on modern MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. 3.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8400 3693 (39m by 22m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974457 (Pastscape entry: 974457)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW35
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974457
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34293
Record last edited
Jun 8 2022 12:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.