MEM15408 - South Adit, Blacklands Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An adit of Blacklands Mine, centred on circa SS 8414 3679. The adit is very well preserved and still has water issuing from it. It is visible as a linear gash into the hillside, but collapse has obscured its entrance.  The adit is described as being open for 100 metres with short branches.  The adit is depicted and annotated on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition County Series 1:2500 map and on the 2nd Edition map, at SS 8413 3678. [3,4] The adit is still depicted and labelled on modern MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, March 1996.
- <2> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. 3.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8414 3678 (11m by 6m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974457 (Pastscape entry: 974457)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW35
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974457
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34293
Record last edited
Apr 5 2017 11:54AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.