MEM15399 - North Batsom Farm, Withypool (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Withypool. At this stage, it included an L shaped farmhouse at SS 8491 3430 and three outbuildings; a larger one at SS 8493 3429 and two smaller structures at c. SS 8494 3427 and SS 8491 3427.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed, the farmhouse has been partially reduced in size to its current plan form and this is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. The larger of the outbuildings had a small structure, probably a horse engine house, added to the centre of its eastern elevation and therefore presumably functioned as a barn. A building shown at SS 8495 3427 may or may not be the smaller structure shown on the Tithe Map at c. SS 8494 3427, although the two maps show a slightly different alignment for this building with the barn to the northwest. All of these buildings are still extant. The other small structure is also still depicted at SS 8491 3427 but has since been demolished. In addition, a new building was constructed at SS 8494 3425, although this has been reduced in size since the 2nd Edition map was published. [2-4] The farm was visited in January 1997. The house was described as ancient, built long and across the contours but divided and much altered recently. It was said to front an irregular yard across a narrow garden. The large barn was noted to have been recently repointed and one further rubble building was noted. 
- <1> SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 166.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8492 3428 (81m by 65m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 166
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 11:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.