MEM15393 - Prehistoric burial cairn on Porlock Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A well preserved prehistoric burial cairn lies on the southern edge of Porlock Common at SS 85594 46527. The cairn comprises a circular, heather covered mound, 9.7 metres in diameter and 0.9 metres high. A central depression 2 metres in diameter and 0.5 metres deep is probably the site of an unrecorded antiquarian excavation. The cairn was recorded and surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME East Exmoor project. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 85589 46530 (30m by 30m) (GPS derived)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1174168 (Original Monarch entry: 1174168)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10297
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE81
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1174168
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18083
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.