MEM15372 - Office Level, Ison Mine, now site of Ison Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Sellick records that a new mine was opened at Eisen Hill in 1854. By the late 1850s a small level (Office Level) had been driven behind the mining company's office, but this was soon abandoned.  SS 91608 37008. `Office Level'. In the garden of Ison Cottage is a rock-cut opening, now blocked, 1.3 metres high and 2 metres wide.  The level is is open for approximately 40 metres.  Ison Cottage was built in the 1960s and located within a quarry that formerly contained an office, powder store and manager's house for Ison Mine. These buildings were probably built in 1854 and demolished before the current house was built. 
- <1> SMO5787 Monograph: Sellick, R.. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway and the Story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. David and Charles Limited. Second. P.28, 38.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North 8 Jan 1998.
- <3> SEM7005 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Report on Proposed Low-Key Visitor Access to Industrial Sites on the Brendon Hills. P.17.
- <4> SEM8286 Report: Webb, P.. 2015. Land at Ison Cottage, Wheddon Cross, Exton, Somerset: Results of a desk-based assessment and walkover survey.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9159 3700 (23m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12607
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35818
Record last edited
Feb 17 2016 2:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.