MEM15281 - Selworthy Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The Conservation Area character appraisal for Selworthy dates some of the farmbuildings to the 17th to 19th Centuries. The yard is cobbled and it is suggested the current layout dates to the early-mid 19th Century. The farm is described as "a significant group of late 19th century farmhouse, with former abandoned farmhouse to the rear dating from the 16th century with jointed crucks. Large stone jambs and quoins in a fireplace suggest an early chimney, possibly one of the first in the area. The existing house, built 1883-4, rendered with a roof of Bridgwater pantiles, is fairly plain with large casement windows. More significant is the group of farm buildings, forming a rectangular plan around a cobbled yard. The thatched barn, including a south-facing lean-to frontage with round section stone pillars probably dates from the 18th century. The east range, a former cowshed and stable is early 19th century, with the remainder dating from the late 19th century." It is noted to be one of the most complete groups of buildings in the Conservation Area. Virtually all buildings were said to be exceptionally well cared for and maintained, even though a few have become redundant of their original use.  Some of the farmbuildings can be seen on the tithe map for Luccombe, notably the original farmhouse (SS 91682 46716) and a range of farmbuildings (SS 91668 46696).  The farm appears to have been altered to its present form by the time the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps had been drawn. [3,4]
- <1> SEM6952 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Selworthy: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p7, 9, 10, 14, 15, 17, 19.
- <2> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 91673 46702 (87m by 52m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA141387 (National Trust HER Record: MNA141387)
- National Trust HER Record: MNA141387
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.