MEM15262 - Shingle filled ditch on Porlock Beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A possible rhyne on Porlock Beach, visible as a shingle filled ditch centred on circa SS 8727 4772. The ditch is orientated roughly northeast to southwest and visible for circa 40 metres, the southwestern end obscured by the eroding shingle ridge. It is approximately 2.2 metres wide and up to 0.6 metres deep. It may be an extension of a system of rhynes visible to the northeast. 
- <1> SEM6731 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2006. Porlock Bay and Marsh: Archaeological Monitoring 2005-2006 Annual Report. P.6.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8727 4772 (41m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: 1869: AE - Porlock Weir (Ref: EI 9688) (EMO12650)
- Event - Survey: 2014: DBA - Exmoor Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey (EEM14294)
- Event - Intervention: Porlock Bay and Marsh Record Archaeological Monitoring 2004 - 2005 (EEM13952)
- Event - Intervention: Porlock Bay Aurochs Excavation (EEM13946)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.