MEM15259 - Possible Saxon timber fragment on Porlock Beach (Find Spot)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A section of oak plank of uncertain date, recovered from alluvial deposits at the mouth of the breach in the shingle ridge on Porlock Beach, from circa SS 87601 47829. The plank is curved in profile, 77.5 centimetres long, 16.5 centimetres wide and up to 72 millimetres thick. Two mortices are inserted through the timber. The timber was sampled for dendrochronological dating but it was not possible to acquire a date.  A radiocarbon date was acquired.
- <1> SEM6734 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2003. Porlock Bay and Marsh: Record of Archaeological Monitoring 2002-2003. P.17-20, 23-24.
- <2> SEM6735 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2004. Porlock Bay and Marsh: Archaeological Monitoring 2003-2004 Annual Report. P.2, 13, 15.
- <3> SEM6721 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2003. Porlock Bay and Marsh: Archaeological Monitoring Record: Interim Record.
- <4> SEM7100 Report: Wilson-North, R. + Cowley, J.. 2004. Exmoor National Park Monument Management Scheme 2003-4.
|Grid reference||SS 87600 47828 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.