MEM15249 - Sub-circular ferrous feature on Porlock Beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A sub-circular ferrous feature identified during archaeological monitoring of Porlock Beach, centred on circa SS 8755 4797. It is approximatley 5 metres in diameter and was probably originally been constructed of timber. The timber structure appears to have been replaced by iron, although it is unclear from the source whether this was a deliberate structural enhancement or through natural processes. The date and function of the feature is uncertain.  The feature had been completely destroyed by erosion by 12th September 2003. 
- <1> SEM6733 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2002. Porlock Bay and Marsh: Record of Archaeological Monitoring 1998 to 2002. P.7,9,10,11.
- <2> SEM6734 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2003. Porlock Bay and Marsh: Record of Archaeological Monitoring 2002-2003. P.12.
- <3> SEM6736 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2005. Porlock Bay and Marsh: Archaeological Monitoring 2004-2005 Annual Report. P.4.
- <4> SEM6735 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2004. Porlock Bay and Marsh: Archaeological Monitoring 2003-2004 Annual Report. P.11.
|Grid reference||SS 8755 4796 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.