MEM15235 - Post-medieval building above Bossington Beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A rectangular building of unknown function is depicted on historic Ordnance Survey maps from 1888 to the 1930s. The structure measures approximately 10 metres east to west and 5 north to south. It is centred on circa SS 8842 4802. It may be associated with an old lime kiln approximately 50 metres to the east, or perhaps itself be an earlier lime kiln. No evidence for the structure was noted during a field assessment in 1995. 
- <1> SEM6715 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1995. Porlock Bay and Marsh: A Rapid Preliminary Assessment of the Cultural and Palaeoenvironmental Resource. P. 30.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8842 4802 (11m by 6m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.