MEM15213 - Bronze Age aurochs, Porlock Bay (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The partial skeleton of an Aurochs (Bos primigenius) of Early Bronze Age. The remains were exposed by the erosion of alluvial deposits following the breach of Porlock Bay shingle ridge in October 1996. Excavation in April 1998 revealed the skeleton to be situated in a large palaeochannel. It is possible more of the Aurochs skeleton survives in other locations on Porlock beach within uneroded sections of the paleochannel.  The pelvis and parts of the vertebral column and rib cage were recovered. The animal was identified as an adult bull at least ten years of age which might have died of an injury or a subsequent infection.  The remains have been Radiocarbon dated to 1738-1450 Calibrated BC.  The remains of the aurochs are on display at the Porlock Visitor Centre. Further excavations were carried out near to where the bones were discovered, where a further bone was uncovered, which is yet to be analysed.  The animal was estimated to be six foot high at the shoulder.  There is no evidence on the bones to indicate that the aurochs was killed or butchered by people living in the area.  The site of the aurochs excavation is now continually under water from the tidal pond expanding to the southeast. 
- <1> SEM6732 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1998. Porlock Bay Aurochs: Excavation Report.
- <2> SEM6716 Unpublished document: Straker, V. and Weinstock, J.. Unknown. The Porlock Aurochs.
- <3> SEM6717 Unpublished document: Weinstock, J.. 2001. Porlock Aurochs.
- <4> SEM6718 Unpublished document: Weinstock, J.. 2001. Another Bone From Porlock.
- <5> SEM6730 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2002. Archaeological Sampling of Two Intertidal Palaeoechannels in Porlock Bay: Interim Report.
- <6> SEM6733 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2002. Porlock Bay and Marsh: Record of Archaeological Monitoring 1998 to 2002. P. 4.
- <7> SEM6719 Article in serial: Webb, C.. 2001. The Giant Aurochs of Porlock. Somerset County Gazette.
- <8> SEM6720 Article in serial: Guscott, S.. 2001. West Somerset Free Press.
- <9> SEM6722 Article in serial: Straker, V., Weinstock, J. + Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Archaeology of Porlock Beach. Park Life. 8.
- <10> SEM7387 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2009. Porlock Bay and Marsh: Archaeological Monitoring 2008-2009 Annual Report. P. 2.
|Grid reference||SS 8733 4783 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Apr 23 2019 2:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.