MDE9894 - Possible prehistoric standing stone on ridge from Clannon Ball to Hoccombe Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Standing stone on Hoccombe Hill, SS 77044389. These ground photograph supplied to the National Monument Record.  SS 7704 4389: A slab, possibly prehistoric in origin, is situated on the summit of the ridge from Clannon Ball to Hoccombe Hill about 418 metres Ordnance Datum in an area of rough grassland. It is up to 0.45 metres high, 1.1 metres wide and 0.2 metres thick. At its north end there is a hollow, 0.7 metres across and 0.3 metres deep.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Three photographs from M Walker, 28 May 1989, 17 Gloster Road, Barnstaple.
- <2>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 January 1990. [Mapped feature: #38727 ]
- <3> SMO5658 Report: Quinnell, N.V. and Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A new survey for management purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. P. 14.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 890352, Extant 16 June 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7704 4389 (point) Surveyed|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=890352 (Pastscape entry: 890352)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50127
- Devon SMR: SS74SE/50
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21487
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE100
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape) (rc): 890352
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 9:33AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.