MDE9892 - Possible prehistoric stone setting above Worthy Water and Hoccombe Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Two photographs of possible stone setting at SS 7902 4461 supplied to the NAR.  SS 79024461. Situated about 340 metres Ordnance Datum on the flattish summit of a spur overlooking the junctions of Worthy Water and Hoccombe Combe is a small area of surface stones scattered over the rough grass and bracken covered hill crest. Although some of the stones appear to be set upright, these are no more than a fortuitous grouping.  The site was subject to survey in 2012. One stone, measuring 0.69 metres high by 0.38 metres wide and 0.12 metres thick was recorded and noted as having been moved to sit within the field boundary, though it may originally have formed a stone setting. A natural scattering of stone was also noted.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. M Walker, 17 Gloster Road, Barnstaple, Devon, 6 August 1989.
- <2> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 24 January 1990.
- <3> SMO5658 Report: Quinnell, N.V. and Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A new survey for management purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. P. 13.
- <4> SEM7915 Report: Slater, E.. 2012. A condition survey of standing stones on Badgworthy Land Company owned land, Exmoor National Park. p56.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 890327, Extant 16 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7901 4460 (42m by 43m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=890327 (Pastscape entry: 890327)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50125
- Devon SMR: SS74SE/48
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21485
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE 98
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 890327
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 9:57AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.