MDE9884 - Natural stone in Farley Water Coombe (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 7557 4355. Natural stone. Alleged standing stone on Clannon Ball, at SS 755 435. Photograph supplied to Devon Historic Environment Record.  A leaning natural slab reported to the Royal Commisson on the Historic Monuments of England in 1989 as a possible standing stone. It is one of several in the bottom of Farley Water coombe. Not of archaeological significance. [2,3] The stone was dismissed as a natural stone by two surveys undertaken in 2003 and 2012; the latter noted it was surrounded by other natural boulders. [4,5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. M. Walker, 17 Gloster Road, Barnstaple, Devon..
- <2> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 January 1990.
- <3> SMO5658 Report: Quinnell, N.V. and Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A new survey for management purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 15.
- <4> SEM6936 Report: Dray, K.. 2003. A Condition Survey of Standing Stones on Badgworthy Land Company Owned Land, Exmoor. p54, 71.
- <5> SEM7915 Report: Slater, E.. 2012. A condition survey of standing stones on Badgworthy Land Company owned land, Exmoor National Park. p43.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 890139, Extant 16 June 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7556 4354 (point) Surveyed|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=890139 (Pastscape entry: 890139)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50128
- Devon SMR: SS74SE/51
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21488
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE84
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 890139
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 4:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.