MDE9883 - Disputed stone circle on Cheriton Ridge (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 751 435 Alleged stone circle. Stone circle, 15.2 metres in diameter discovered at SS 751 435. Nine stones identified; beneath heather.  There is no evidence of a stone circle in the area of the national grid reference given. The crest of Cheriton Ridge at this point is covered with extensive areas of peat diggings and long moorland grass. West of the national grid reference the land slopes steeply down to Hoaroak Water and the hillside is littered with exposed natural boulders and stones.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Unknown Correspondence. [Mapped feature: #38825 ]
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. SAJ Probert, 9 January 1989.
- <3> SMO5658 Report: Quinnell, N.V. and Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A new survey for management purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. P. 16.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 890133, Extant 16 June 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 750 435 (point) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=890133 (Pastscape entry: 890133)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 641
- Devon SMR: SS74SE/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20006
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE83
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 890133
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 4:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.