MDE9016 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Trentishoe Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
During a site visit in 1985, a small round cairn of 2.5 metres diameter and 1.0 metres height was noted approximately 650 metres southsoutheast of the summit of Trentishoe Down. It was interpreted as a clearance cairn.  Centred at SS 6291 4725 on the southern slopes of Trentishoe Down is a well preserved cairn. The feature lies on the edge of an established track and close to an area of dense bracken. It is 2.3 metres in diameter and 0.9 metres high. It has been damaged on its western side by the track. Dense bracken in the area did not allow further reconnaissance.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6970 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1986. Archaeological survey on Exmoor 1985/86: Trentishoe Down; a summary report. Site 274, visited 21 November 1985.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 July 1993.
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 873227, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 6291 4724 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=873227 (Original Monarch entry: 873227)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NW/54
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 28167
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21009
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW47
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 873227
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 5:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.